You are here

Adoption Subsidies/Assistance

To Contact Your U.S. Members of Congress

Find your legislators online:


Call the U.S. Capitol Switch Board to Connect with your legislators office by phone:
(202) 224-3121
A switchboard operator with connect you directly with the legislator’s office that you request

To Contact Colorado’s State Legislators (Senators and Representatives):


In 1980, the United States Congress enacted the Adoption Assistance and Child Welfare Act (Public Law 96-272). Under P.L. 96-272, each state must establish an adoption assistance program that provides maintenance payments, Medicaid coverage, selected social services, and reimbursement for nonrecurring adoption costs to families adopting eligible special-needs children. Assistance is available for children adopted through private or public agencies; independent adoptions, those negotiated via a private attorney, are not eligible for federal or state funds.